On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:57 PM, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Domin8rJ <limjunjie621...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone, I was asked to create an Android application for my school's
>> final year project, but I have zero experience in this area.. had never
>> programmed an app before..
>

> I have to ask why you were tasked with such an assignment as your final
> project if you have zero experience with it? Usually a final project is a
> culmination of everything you have learned in your course work, not some
> monumental task the student has no clue about just to watch them squirm.

I disagree.. In the universities which which I've been affiliate we
typically educate undergrads in traditional languages
(C/C++/OCaml/Java/etc...), and using fairly standard APIs, but don't
typically teach frameworks as a part of our courses.  It's fairly
common to ask a student as a final project to take all of these
courses and then learn the framework using the knowledge they've
gained over the years of  their theoretical and applied coursework.

I don't think that Android is a significantly new API or programming
environment, and if you know Java (and even if you don't, but know C++
or something similar-ish well enough) will be very easy to pick up..
If you have a year of time to do so, I'd start by doing the following:

- reading the developer guide
- playing with a bunch of the sample apps
- perhaps buying a copy of Mark Murphy's android book (the commonsware
guide) if you find yourself needing more explained examples of the
API, etc...

kris