It well could be over complicated - here is what I did:
In res, values, attrs.xml I have:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>
        <declare-styleable name="MyColors">
                <attr name="inactiveColor" format="color"/>
                <attr name="activeColor" format="color"/>

In res, values, styles.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<resources>

                <item name="android:windowBackground">@drawable/mid_green</item>
                <item name="inactiveColor">#090</item>
                <item name="activeColor">#0F0</item>

...and I specify this theme in my AndroidManifest.xml.

Without specifying the attributes separately, I was getting errors for
my styles.xml like 'No resource found for specified attribute' (not
the exact wording).

Is there a simpler way to do this?