Has anyone figured out this magic formula?

I have a app that has > 15000 downloads, a rating of 4.38(600
ratings), but it is still less popular than a competing app with <
10000 downloads and a rating of 3.45. How is this possible? My guess
is that it is related to the number of uninstalls but then the rating
system is all wrong? I think I just have to make a new application
with a similar name and start all over again since the app got a lot
of uninstalls in the first version. But then I loose 600 ratings which
could potentially be very important to have if the rating system
changes...

So please, Google employees, can you give us any hints on whether you
are doing any changes to the rating system in the near future or give
us any hints on how the list is decided?

-Christer