You can't do this.  Generally it's considered kind of dubious to need
to know when other apps start (i.e., what are you trying to write, an
app that spies on the user?).  Presumably you are trying to write some
kind of "helper" app that provides extra system utilities, this is not
really possible easily, and you shouldn't be doing it at the framework
level.  There have been some very long debates on this forum as to
whether this is appropriate or not, you can go through the logs (look
for READ_LOG and ICS..) of this forum.

You can't get notified of when other apps start, and additionally, you
shouldn't be able to find out when other apps start, period.  You can,
through a hack, get access to the system logs, and parse them, though
that's not an API, and the permission has gone away with ICS...

kris