I was struggling on the same problem, and the finish/restart activity
solution was not satisfying because I messes the "back button history" :
when the user uses back, then the "previous activity" to be restored is not
the activity that opened the preferences in the first place, but the
preferences itself ! It is understandable because after all, we did
actually call the PreferencesActivity from the PreferencesActivity...

*The solution I use is quite simple : onCreate(null);*
I simply tried calling onCreate, hoping that it would perform its
initialization routine once more, and it did ! Hope it can help someone ;-)