What api level are you devving for?

Also, I would think *myBitmap.getRowBytes() * myBitmap.getHeight()* should
work.

This is the Android source ( 4.1.1_r1 ):

*874     public final int getByteCount() {*
*875         // int result permits bitmaps up to 46,340 x 46,340*
*876         return getRowBytes() * getHeight();*
*877     }*

You could probably use Reflection and get the size of the byte array if you
really need to, which I doubt.