I traced it down to the following line

            SQLiteDatabase myDb = ((myApp) getApplication()).getDb();

which gets a pointer to the open database in the application singleton.
This is technically outside of the activity, so maybe that is why the code
fails. But still, it's not entirely intuitive. The database is used by a
service as well, and I thought I should not have more than one pointer to
the same database, or?