The volume adjustment is context sensitive. You can tell which volume
is being adjusted by the volume display.

If YouTube or the music player, adjusting the volume will affect only
the music/video playback volume. The volume display will read "Media
Volume". If you're in the home screen, or most other apps that don't
use audio, adjusting the volume will affect the ringtone/notification
volume. The volume display will read "Ringtone Volume".