I have an idea for an app that will both have a component that runs on the
computer of the user and a component that runs on the phone. The idea will
be that the two will communicate over wifi.

To make this secure, I want to set up a public/private key pair on the
computer and the phone. In order to do this in a user-friendly way, I want
to do so automatically over usb. However, in exploring how much of what I
want is actually possible on android, I have been unable to find out how to
have an app communicate over usb to a program on the computer.

Technically, it would be similar to using the computer as a USB accessory,
but I doubt it would actually be similar enough to make this work. I have
also read that it might be possible using ADB port forwarding, but this
doesn't really look like it would make it more user-friendly for end users.
Finally, I suppose I could solve the problems by only using the file system
and mounting it, storing the public key in a file on the s-card, but it's
not really the ease of use that I am looking for.

Is there a way of communicating between an application running on a pc and
an app running on an android device that I have missed?
Is there a mistake in my current understanding of the possibilities?