Checking network types explicitly like this is bad - what happens if the
device is connected through a bluetooth tether or via ethernet adapter?

You could use getActiveNetworkInfo() and check it's connection, but this is
still polling.  If you need to get notified when a connection comes or goes
(have something to do on next connect, for example) The CONNECTIVITY_ACTION
broadcast intent is the way to go.  Note that this can be chatty - there
are several secondary networks that currently cause this broadcast that you
may have to weed out.  You should use getActiveNetworkInfo in your handler
to find the state that applies to you.

Can you post the stack trace of the NPE?