Thank you so much Romain for your reply and example. I might be the only
real canvas textureview example on the net. It worked but not quite as you
said. It might be something to do with my class structure as this part of
the program does not have internal classes..
I will explain and show a little. Maybe my approach is bad or wrong I don't
know.
CLASSES
Main Activity
spawns
- CustomTextureView class extending TextureView
              -this spawns the worker thread (it does not extend thread but
just a worker class)

the TextureView constructor

public CustomTextureView (Context context, AttributeSet attrs) {
super(context, attrs);
mContext = context;
setWillNotDraw(true);
setFocusableInTouchMode(true);
setFocusable(true);
setSurfaceTextureListener(this);

}
and the listener callback within this class
@Override
public void onSurfaceTextureAvailable(SurfaceTexture surface, int width,
int height) {
// TODO Auto-generated method stub
isRunning = true;
mSurface = surface;
mChart.setTextureSurface(surface);//mChart is the worker class/thread
mChart.setSurfaceSize(width, height);
mChart.Redraw(true);//this does all the canvas drawing on a bitmap for
buffering.
invalidate();//this is essential to make it display on 1st run..why?
}

The worker class spawned from the CustomTextureView and the critical void
protected void RenderCanvas(){
 final Canvas canvas = CustomTextureView .lockCanvas(null);
        try {
           canvas.drawBitmap(buffBitmap, 0, 0, null);
        } finally {
        CustomTextureView .unlockCanvasAndPost(canvas);
         mSurface.updateTexImage();
        }
}

So I do not work from the main activity and don't understand why I need to
call invalidate() in onSurfaceTextureAvailable for the 1st run to display
properly.

Romain Guy you said NOT to call updateTexImage but if I don't my 2d chart
does not update with the new buffBitmap when it is available.
this I definitely don't understand????

Anyway it works and thanks for putting me on the right track but am i still
doing some android bad?