Our app provides realtime streaming market data and users are seeing
alarmingly large memory usage in the Task Manager. While I have tried to
explain to the product owners is that the number is more complicated than
the seemingly easy to understand 230MB displayed by Task Manager. I am
assuming this must be representing the process set size, because I'm only
seeing about 20MB of heap usage in DDMS and MAT. The total heap fluctuates
between 10MB and peaks at 40MB, but mostly about 20MB.

Now the reason anyone even cares is that HTC and Motorola phones that they
have tested running 2.3 have actually rebooted by running out of memory.
This isn't being seen on 4.x phones although the Task Manager reports
similar memory usage.

I'm open to suggestions of how I might diagnose this further or is there a
known issue with 2.3 and memory handling?