I am using a USB to Serial adapter on my Samsung Nexus phone (Jelly Bean)
and it works fine. I use the "Slick USB 2 Serial Terminal" application and
the device gets detected  and works.

At the moment I write my own example to send and recive messages over RS232
but it's just at the beginning. Up to now the UsbManager detects one USB
device if I connect the adapter.

Roy