Should I have the alarm manager as a service?(as I want the application to
be executed always)...

Here is my service:

public class PollService extends Service
{
private PendingIntent pendingIntent;
private AlarmManager alarmManager;
private Calendar calendar;
@Override
public IBinder onBind(Intent arg0) {
return null;
}
@Override
public boolean onUnbind(Intent intent) {
return super.onUnbind(intent);
}

@Override
public void onCreate() {
Toast.makeText(getApplicationContext(), "Service Started",
Toast.LENGTH_SHORT).show();
alarmManager = (AlarmManager) getSystemService(ALARM_SERVICE);
Intent myIntent = new Intent(this, PollService.class);
pendingIntent = PendingIntent.getService(this, 0, myIntent, 0);
calendar = Calendar.getInstance();
}
@Override
public void onStart(Intent intent, int startId) {
super.onStart(intent, startId);
calendar.setTimeInMillis(System.currentTimeMillis());
calendar.add(Calendar.MILLISECOND, 300000);// Polling for every 5 minutes
alarmManager.set(AlarmManager.RTC_WAKEUP,
calendar.getTimeInMillis(),pendingIntent);
}
 @Override
public void onDestroy() {
super.onDestroy();
alarmManager.cancel(pendingIntent);
}
}

But where do I define connecting to the server and getting the contents?

Thank you.