I have never seen this before, and have been developing apps for 2 years+.
I wrote a layout, ran it on an old handset (HTC Android 2.2), and one of
the dialogs (android.Theme.Dialog) has graphics in it from a different
layout.  The other layout is not a dialog.  Not that that probably matters.

In eclipse, this does not happen. On a tablet (4.0.3) and a Motorola (2.3)
this never occurs (yet).  I thought this might have happened because I
uploaded a debug version over a bad cable, and maybe got a bad copy.  But
then I de-installed it and loaded it from the Google Play market, and it
occurs only some of the time.  I have even tried modifying that layout and
re-installing.  Still occurs infrequently.  Could it be a memory problem?

Has anyone seen this occur?  How to prevent it?