ViewPager is part of the support package and inherits from a ViewGroup , it
shouldn't matter much which OS version it runs on.
I have a similar setup and i dont experience this issue (using support
package v4, i assume you're using the same since you said you tested on
earlier os versions).
I can even press a button and see it switch to its pressed state and then
start a swipe without generating an onClick event.

What is your targetSdkVersion?