Look at mapsforge: http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/

And OSMDroid: http://code.google.com/p/osmdroid/

mapsforge supports offline vector maps - not very useable on a low powered
device but good with a reasonable spec device.

OSMDroid can be used with an offline tile cache (traditional raster tiles),
and you can create such a tile archive using Mobile Atlas Creator:
http://code.google.com/p/osmdroid/wiki/MobileAtlasCreator

mapsforge is currently undergoing a major rewrite, version 0.3.0 available
on the website is the version to which all the wiki documentation applies.
The OverlayAPI is part of version 0.3.0 for example.

The newer not officially released 0.3.1 is the version you will get if you
download and compile the source yourself.
This newer version does not support the OverlayAPI, instead it has a new
ListOverlay class.
The newer version has not yet implemented many features such a Marker click
listeners, so steer clear of the newer version if you need such
functionality.

Martin.