Hey folks,

I am working on a non-market application that is used within our company.
It has an updater that downloads apks from a web server and is supposed to
install them.

When I use the following code (tested on Android 4.0) to open the apk, I am
presented with a selection of applications that can handle the specific
content type ("application/vnd.android.package-archive"), among them being
Dropbox and others:

  Intent intent = new Intent();
intent.setDataAndType(Uri.fromFile(newFile(path)),
"application/vnd.android.package-archive"
);
startActivity(intent);

To simplify the process for my users, I would prefer to always open the apk
with Package Manager, avoiding that selective step.
I read about setComponent and setClass(Name), but all the examples I could
find were about "target classes" within the own application's scope.
When I try to use "com.google.android.content.pm.PackageManager" instead,
it fails with an ActivityNotFoundException.

Looking forward to any advice!

Thanks a lot,

Pascal