> - Am I just so special hitting one bug after another?

In a way, yes :)

> - Is GPU acceleration, by and large, unexpectedly broken and randomly
> unusable, even in 4.1.1 on the Galaxy Nexus?

Considering the fact that every app that ships with 4.1.1 (and now
4.1.2) runs with hardware acceleration on, saying it's broken and
unusable is a bit excessive. There are bugs of course and still
missing features and we're working hard on resolving those issues.

For what it's worth, the edit text overlapping text bug was fixed
either in 4.1.2 or the version that will come after that. And when you
run into hardware acceleration related bugs, please file bugs at
http://b.android.com so I can fix them.

--
Romain Guy
Android framework engineer