Depends. If you want your emulator or phone to pick up the actual
implementation changes, you'll have to flash the device (or create a new
emulator using the build output).

If you just want Eclipse to use your new android.jar for the compile
linking, ... I'm not actually sure, after checking. I don't seem to have an
android.jar under my out/ directory anywhere, either.

You'll have better luck asking in the android-build group.