Objective: To write a sync adapter that syncs Google calendar events with
local android calendar (server to device - one way only).

Android Version: Froyo

Debugging Steps:

   1. A past non-recurring event (one month old) is read from Google
   Calendar
   2. I insert it locally in android calendar (calendar entry that I
   created)
   3. The event is inserted successfully in events table but the
   corresponding entry in instances table is not created
   4. I update the calendarmetadata table values to mininstance=0 and
   maxinstance="event's end date in millis" (on command prompt through sqlite3
   tool)
   5. I again try inserting the same event locally
   6. This time the event is inserted successfully in events table and the
   corresponding entry in instances table also gets created

Looking at the CalendarProvider.java and Calendar.java source code and
further probing revealed the following:

   1. After I insert a row in Calendars table, the mininstance is set to
   today's date and maxinstance is set to some 7 or 15 days in future so e.g.
   if today is 19-Oct, creating a calendar entry and accessing the calendar
   agenda activity sets mininstance=19-Oct (in millis) and maxinstance=26-Oct
   (in millis).
   2. In step # 3 above when the content provider inserts an event it looks
   at the mininstance and maxinstance values to expand and insert instances
   for the given event in instances table. Since the event start time lies
   before the mininstance value (since the event is one month old) the content
   provider doesn't create corresponding instances entry.

Given that I cannot directly write to calendarmetadata and instances tables
from my code how can I sync older events with my local calendar on android
device for froyo version?