On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:10 AM, Keith Wiley <kbwi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All right.  I brought this up a few weeks ago on this list and some of the
> advice on the topic was to avoid menus entirely and replace them with in-app
> soft-menus from now on...despite the action bar.  I guess that advice was
> incorrect.

There are developers who do not want to use the action bar, such as
game developers who find that an always-present action bar is a
distraction or clashes with their game-focused UI. A subset of those
developers are clinging desperately to the old options menu behavior
(e.g., setting android:targetSdkVersion to be under 11) -- the right
answer for these game developers is to add "in-app soft menus" that
blend in with the game UI. Because eventually, *something* will force
their hand to set android:targetSdkVersion to 11 or higher, and even
before that happens, users not used to the old option menu trigger
will not realize there are menus at all.

Most apps will do fine with an action bar.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 4.2 Available!