I really would appreciate some help with this.

Here is some debug output from the emulator -

C:\android\adt-bundle-windows\sdk\tools>emulator -avd tab7 -debug
sensors_port,mtport,sdkctlsocket -screen multi-touch

emulator: SDKCtl sensors: Socket is connected.
emulator: SDKCtl sensors: Sending endianness: 0
emulator: SDKCtl multi-touch: Socket is connected.
emulator: SDKCtl multi-touch: Sending endianness: 0
emulator: SDKCtl sensors: Sending handshake query...
emulator: SDKCtl multi-touch: Sending handshake query...
emulator: SDKCtl sensors: Handshake succeeded. Port is not connected
emulator: Sensors: SDK Controller has succeeded handshake, and port is not
connected.
emulator: SDKCtl multi-touch: Handshake succeeded. Port is not connected
emulator: Multi-touch: Handshake succeeded with disconnected port.

I get the above debug output whether I wait for the emulator to start up
before pressing one of the app's 'What you can do' buttons ('Control
Multi-touch' or 'Control Sensors') or press one of them before invoking the
emulator.

My next step would have to be to be the SdkController app from the sources
and try and debug it it from that end, but surely I cannot be the first
person to have gone down this road?