android:id="@+id/spinner_temperature"
android:layout_width="match_parent"
android:layout_height="wrap_content"
android:entries="@array/temperature_units"
android:prompt="@string/prompt_temperature_units" />

In strings.xml I have
<string-array name="temperature_units">
</string-array>

I want to set the index of the spinner by searching for one of the string
values in the array temperature_units. When I look at the ArrayAdapter in
the debugger, it says that the array has three elements: oF, oC, and oK. I
tried this code:

s = (Spinner) v.findViewById(R.id.spinner_temperature);
s.setSelection(((ArrayAdapter<String>)s.getAdapter()).getPosition(data[choice][RocketModelsData.TEMPERATURE_UNITS]));

where data[choice][RocketModelsData.TEMPERATURE_UNITS] returns a string
contained in the array.

but the spinner is not set to the expected value..

I broke down the statements into pieces, and tried to search on
permutations of the strings in the array using this:

s = (Spinner) v.findViewById(R.id.spinner_temperature);
ArrayAdapter<String> sAdapter = (ArrayAdapter<String>) s.getAdapter();
int g0 = sAdapter.getPosition("F");
int g1 = sAdapter.getPosition("oF");
int g2 = sAdapter.getPosition("<sup>o</sup>F");

All three values, g0, g1, and g2 are -1, so the search failed.

If I remove the superscript formatting from the array, the search works
just fine for F, C, and K or oF, oC, and oK.

Any suggestions on how to set the value of the spinner index by searching
the strings in the spinner array? My layout is cramped, so I can't change
the array elements, for example, to "degrees C"; ie removing the
superscript formatting.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. Is there a way to read the array from the strings.xml file, and then
make a shadow array that would have the <sup>o</sup>F strings? I could get
the index from searching that array.