Hi Danielle,

*WiFi-Direct is not pure Ad-hoc*.
Check this in it's FAQ:
http://www.wi-fi.org/sites/default/files/uploads/files/faq_20101021_Wi-Fi_Direct_FAQ.pdf

"Q: Is WiFi-Direct the same as Ad Hoc mode?
A: No, this is not Ad-Hoc mode (also known as IBSS) but an extension to the
ubiquitous infrastructure mode of operation that can operate without a
dedicated access point. Ad Hoc, or IBSS, mode is a legacy protocol for
Wi-Fi devices, and Wi-Fi Direct is a new innovation. With the technology
underlying Wi-Fi Direct, a device can maintain a simultaneous connection to
an infrastructure network – this isn’t possible with Ad Hoc."

So, basically, the problem comes back to the ground zero.
I'm also looking for a viable solution where in I can access an Ad Hoc
network without rooting the device.

Cheers!