Solved.  I was able to replicate the problem using the 7" WSVGA tablet
image under the Device Definitions.  Interesting thing and possibly a bug
in the image is that I couldn't even get a navigation bar with version
4.0.3 which is what the user has and that was on any app including the
built in ones.  With 4.2 installed the navigation bar came back and the
menu overflow displayed.

The blog item "Say Goodbye to the Menu Button" could use a rewrite.  Even
the writer admits the whole thing is a bit confusing.  For my app I had set
the targetSDK in the manifest to 11 and setting it back to 9 solved the
problem.  This needs to be sorted out and made clearer in the docs.