True, but that doesn't mean it won't work.

Non-deprecated mechanism is to use the FragmentManager, but I have no idea
how your dialog will behaves wrt Activity rotation. You didn't elaborate on
exactly how you are creating your Dialog in the first place. Are you
already using the FragmentManager, perhaps showing some of your code might
help.

William