Just to clarify, here is the method you are calling with a bad input stream:

public static Bitmap decodeStream (InputStream is)
Added in API level 1
Decode an input stream into a bitmap. If the input stream is null, or
cannot be used to decode a bitmap, the function returns null. The stream's
position will be where ever it was after the encoded data was read.
Parameters
is
The input stream that holds the raw data to be decoded into a bitmap.
Returns
The decoded bitmap, or null if the image data could not be decoded.

It must return null.

In other words, it does not throw an exception.

Neither does setImageBitmap when you do setImageBitmap(null);