On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Subodh Nijsure <subodh.nijs...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Some of my screens have 5-8 items that users enter stuff like name,
> address, some other data. I just don't want users to enter say 80% of data
> and loose that data just because they hit back button one two many times..
> Is there another UI pattern one should follow in that case?
>
> [ Something like what gmail does regarding auto-saving your draft
> messages, but do that in android app.. ]

IMO, based on what you've shared, an "are you sure you want to exit this
page" check seems warranted. This is how Gmail works. If you press back, it
asked if you want to discard your message. The Messaging app, if you
entered text but no recipients, warns you that your message will be
discarded.

It's really up to you and what you think makes sense for your app. But
remember that if you get rid of the dialog confirmation and instead just
persist the information for them to continue next time, you also have to
provide a facility to clear the form, like discarding an email draft.
Otherwise people might hit back on purpose as a "cancel" action and expect
the data to be gone. To me, the dialog check seems like the quickest and
cleanest way to verify the user intention for your case.