Isn't there a completely different approach at preferences in the
meanwhile? I haven't looked closely at it but the documentation says
something about PreferenceFragments that should be used instead of the old
approach.

I think you'll need to have two activities. One for downward-compatibility
and one for the current approach. When the user tries to get to your app
preferences you need to check the current API level:

if(Build.SDK_INT < 11) {
    startActivitiy(new Intent(this, OldPreferencesActivity.class));
} else {
    startActivitiy(new Intent(this, NewPreferencesActivity.class));
}