Odd.  May be related to my use of a drawable.xml for the dialog window
background:

*AndroidManifest.xml entry:*
        <activity
            android:name=".RulesActivity"
            android:theme="@style/RoundedCornerDialog"

android:configChanges="orientation|keyboardHidden|keyboard|screenSize|locale"

        </activity>

*styles.xml entry:*
        <item name="android:windowBackground">@drawable/rounded</item>
        <item name="android:windowCloseOnTouchOutside">false</item>  <!--
API level 11 -->

*rounded.xml:*
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<shape xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"; >

    <corners android:radius="15dp" />

    <solid android:color="#565656" />

    <stroke
        android:width="3dp"
        android:color="#ffffff" />

    <padding
        android:bottom="16dp"
        android:left="16dp"
        android:right="16dp"
        android:top="16dp" />

</shape>

I'd be curious to know if you still don't see it.  Maybe there is something
else I'm doing.