On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM, Russell Wheeler <
russellpeterwhee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Latimerius,
>
> So how do you directly access them from the assets folder?

You have to know the name of the package whose images you want to use but
that shouldn't be a problem in your case if I understand correctly.  Then
you just pass it to  createPackageContext() which you call on one of your
Activities (I use the "main" one but I guess it probably doesn't matter
much which one you pick) to retrieve a Context of the package containing
images.  After that, everything works the same as when working with "this"
package's resources - you call getResources() or getAssets() on the Context
etc.

> Doing it this way, are the images available to anyone who has root access?
> i.e. can they steal your images?

Then can do that anytime anyway.  Everybody seems surprised to learn that
(I know I was!) but anybody can access your assets and resources any time
they please with just minor inconvenience, and they DON'T need root for
that.

(There was a thread about this on this group last July I think, Mark Murphy
had some insights back then so look it up if you're interested.)

Why do you use assets? For ease, or for some other reason? I thought it
> would be better to have them in the res folders so that the diff screen
> sizes still get used, e.g. ldpi/hdpi etc folders?

I use assets because the program I work on is a game, or a toy, which uses
custom rules to adapt to different screen sizes and densities.  We started
off using resources but quickly found out that Android's built-in scaling
etc. was just ruining our art and throwing off our screen layout algorithms.

Of course, even if res folders didn't work for us with our special needs,
they can still work splendid for you.  In that case, just go for res, I
have no first-hand experience with that but I don't see any reason why it
shouldn't work.