Hi,
A few suggestions:

   - I would verify that your code is actually executed (I,E, the code
   statements in your original post).
   - Verify no exceptions are thrown. Make sure your code segment is housed
   in try/catch block.
   - Add statements to the Toast object and ask it to report the x/y
   coordinates, gravity, etc.

Most unexpected behavior is either in the application code, or the
application code's interaction with dependent libraries. For example, a
prior version of a dependent library always constructed a value. In the
newer library version, the value is set to null and not guaranteed to have
a value till certain conditions are met. If your application is not
checking that values are null before use, you will get unexpected behavior.

Hope that helps :)
Good Luck
Jason