On Friday, March 29, 2013 5:56:18 PM UTC-4, Streets Of Boston wrote:

> Look at your logcat. It tells you when an activity hasn't started.

When an activity fails to start all I see in LogCat is .. *nothing* related
to that Activity.   If the Activity is created or started (or paused, etc) *
then* I see it in Logcat.   Are you saying that I should see a message
saying that the Activity failed to start or be created?   I run LogCat in
verbose mode with no filters on.

> For the onActivityResult getting called instantly: Your returning activity
> was probably started with a singleTask or singleInstance. This means that
> onActivityResult was called immediately after your activity was started
> (and not upon its return). Use default/standard instead.

In that particular example the returning Activity was standard but the
Activity *invoking* it was singleInstance.   I knew the returning Activity
had to be standard but I only found out that the caller couldn't be
singleInstance by time-consuming trial-and-error.    I've never seen it
documented.    When I made the caller activity also standard it
worked.      Which illustrates my question:   which is whether there's a
way to *systematically* find out from Android what happened.   Is any of
this stuff instrumented so we can see why something did or did not happen?

I'm currently trying to debug a case where I can ONLY start an activity if
it's singleInstance.   I don't know why and lots of people on StackOverflow
have made many guesses and suggestions, none of which (as of this writing)
have worked.    Because we're all fumbling in the dark since we don't know
what Android is doing behind the scenes.   I want to know if there's a way
to find out.

---
"Android Developers" group.