Coming up with a simplified example will be hard because it's a large
industrial app with many activities and operates as a remote control for a
manufacturing process under the control of a PC which sends commands to it
asynchronously.      But I did get an important clue today:

I reported that in LogCat all I got  was an "intent: starting .." and then
nothing.    But what I found out was that if I switched to another screen
in the app the Activity would start, even if it was minutes later.     *Here's
what's going on*:  these Activities are being launched by intents in a
separate NON-Activity class that receives communication from the PC.   They
need a Context to start an Activity (ctx in the above code) and if the
Context is not the one for the activity currently on the screen then
nothing happens until that Activity comes to the fore.

So I either need a way to get the context of the Activity currently on the
screen, or a way to start an Activity that will run regardless of the
activity currently on the screen.      I can do the latter by setting the
launchMode of DGraphActivity to "singleInstance" but I can't use
singleInstance because DGraphActivity needs to fire off other activities
and use onActivityResult to collect their results and you can't uses
onActivityResult in a singleInstance.

With a launchMode of "standard" I've tried using

>       intent.addFlags(Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_CLEAR_TOP |
> Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK);

without success.

---
"Android Developers" group.