On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Kostya Vasilyev <kmans...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
>>> networking docs.
>>>

>> I dont know what gtalk is doing, but a guess here is that wifi needs more
>> aggressive keep alives due to NAT time outs being low on some access points.
>>

> I could see the connections still alive in my router's UI.
>
> Not letting the device go to sleep would make the issue go away (with no
> change at the router or NAT or server).
>
> Let me ask you this -- when WiFi goes into power saving mode, is there a
> specific upper bound on the time it takes to wake back up (either triggered
> by an incoming packet, or an outgoing one)?
>

>>> Don't have a packet capture, but will try to submit a bug report, since
>>> there seems to be interest on your part. Thank you for this.
>>>
>>> Are there any changes to WiFi power saving in 4.1 - 4.2, perhaps it
>>> tries to go deeper than before into some sort of sleep state?
>>>
>>> Is it possible that this power saving mode has a low-level bug, where
>>> the WiFi radio stops responding to incoming packets?
>>>
>>> Would this be related to this old issue? I can only guess of course:
>>> https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9781
>>>

>> This bug is a bit old.
>>

> It's the closest I could find, sorry. I vaguely recall seeing some newer
> ones about the same thing.
>

>> Can you clarify what  android device and access point you are using. You
>> could send Robert or me an email with the details and the bugreport (a
>> packet capture showing the problem may be even better)
>>

> I do not have a packet capture, I had server and app logs, and given that
> there are no packet captures, I already explained the gist of it (saving
> you having to read the logs).
>
> My devices were (and are) a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7 with 4.2.2 (or
> 4.2.1?, I worked on this a lot in mid-December of last year). The user's
> devices included a Galaxy Nexus with 4.1.
>
> My home router, at the time, was a Zyxel Keentic Giga, with an 80 MBit/s
> PPTP connection.
>

>> I ask because different wifi drivers do their own power optimizations and
>> I have seen issues where these optimizations do not work well with certain
>> access points. We have to chase these issues with the vendors.
>>

> Ok, so the bug is a bit old, but the issue remains to this day?
>

> I can appreciate the complexity of tracking these down, and glad someone
> is doing it, but...
>
> ....it does not help when users have but the latest Android version with
> the latest drivers with fixes (I presume).
>

>> There should not be generic issue like this on the platform itself - it
>> is depended on the wifi driver.
>>

> Looking at it from an application's point of view, it makes no difference
> if it's the driver or the framework or the kernel code.
>
> To the user it's even more simple: "does not work".
>
> Should there be a system level setting to turn off those power
> optimizations, if they're known to not be compatible with "all" (taken as a
> metaphorical term) access point / router devices?

There is. You could try turning off settings > wifi > advanced > wi-fi
optimization
 to see if it makes a difference.

The
HIGH_PERF<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/WifiManager.html#WIFI_MODE_FULL_HIGH_PERF>API
also does the same and should be used with care due to power impact.

> -- K
>
>  --
> ---
> "Android Developers" group.