latimerius wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  To explain a bit further: the reason I'm trying to
> get something similar to what the user sees in "Language & input" is, I
> just consider it unlikely that a device would offer a language that's it's
> not capable to handle, or that it would *not* offer a language it *can*
> handle.

What the device *offers* is a combination of what came with it from the OEM
and
what the user added, subject to any device-specific limitations.

What the device *accepts* is a superset of what has already been installed.

It is not only likely, but common that a device will have apps and device
configurations
supporting locales beyond what originally came with the device.

I've got Google Translate on my phone. It supports many locales not on my
L&I screen.

I've also loaded programs that take over the IMEs and display for whatever
language
and thrown the whole phone into Arabic, Chinese, Korean or whatever.

Piren laid out a taxonomy of locale support. Basically an app will support
any
locale it's properly configured to support.

--
Lew

---
"Android Developers" group.