HELP: we are getting this error in large numbers from customers since
releasing an update which adds Google Play services achievements to our
game. Any ideas would be very appreciated. This error crashes the app.

There are minor variations in the stack traces but they are all a
"android.gms.common.images.e cannot be cast to
android.content.ComponentCallbacks" exception. The most common trace starts
from android.app.Application.onConfigurationChanged(), we also get some
from android.app.Application.onLowMemory(). Both those are methods in the
Interface
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/ComponentCallbacks.html
.

I'm not sure what's happening but one guess is that Google Play services is
registering an instance of com.google.android.gms.common.images.e (whatever
that is) as if it is a ComponentCallbacks, then when the OS calls a method
on that instance the class cast exception is triggered. The crash seems to
occur when the app has just been paused, or has not been active for some
time; these may be the first times any method in ComponentCallbacks is
called.

We use android.gms.common.images.ImageManager to load achievement images in
our app; it's the same package, so possibly related (then again, maybe not
:)

4.1.2 stack trace:

21:02:00.411 Exception "main": java.lang.ClassCastException:
com.google.android.gms.common.images.e cannot be cast to
android.content.ComponentCallbacks
android.app.Application.onConfigurationChanged(Application.java:99)  hm
java.lang.ClassCastException: com.google.android.gms.common.images.e cannot be
cast to android.content.ComponentCallbacks
        at android.app.Application.onConfigurationChanged(Application.java:99)
        at
android.app.ActivityThread.performConfigurationChanged(ActivityThread.java:3653)
        at
android.app.ActivityThread.handleConfigurationChanged(ActivityThread.java:3792)
        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1337)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4918)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
        at
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1004)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:771)
        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

4.0.4 stack trace:

21:18:37.459 Exception "main": java.lang.ClassCastException:
com.google.android.gms.common.images.e cannot be cast to
android.content.ComponentCallbacks
android.app.Application.onConfigurationChanged(Application.java:90)  hm
java.lang.ClassCastException: com.google.android.gms.common.images.e cannot be
cast to android.content.ComponentCallbacks
        at android.app.Application.onConfigurationChanged(Application.java:90)
        at
android.app.ActivityThread.performConfigurationChanged(ActivityThread.java:3461)
        at
android.app.ActivityThread.handleConfigurationChanged(ActivityThread.java:3585)
        at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1220)
        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4424)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
        at
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:784)
        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:551)
        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

The onLowMemory() variation: 18:00:46.230 Exception "main":
java.lang.ClassCastException: com.google.android.gms.common.images.e cannot
be cast to android.content.ComponentCallbacks
android.app.Application.onLowMemory(Application.java:99) hm
java.lang.ClassCastException: com.google.android.gms.common.images.e cannot
be cast to android.content.ComponentCallbacks at
android.app.Application.onLowMemory(Application.java:99) at
android.app.ActivityThread.handleLowMemory(ActivityThread.java:3690) at
android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1233) at
android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99) at
android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137) at
android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4424) at
java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method) at
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511) at
com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:784)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:551) at
dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

---
"Android Developers" group.