please find below link for understanding the entire structure binary xml
ans .arsc

http://justanapplication.wordpress.com/android-internals/

My question is don't we have to move the bytes when we replace the string
with bigger one, apart from changing the values you mentioned below

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:09:12 PM UTC-7, Illyoung Choi wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> Last day, I made a simple application for parsing an Android Resource
> File (*.arsc) and modifying resource strings.
>
> I think this thing might be a help for someone, so I'll share the
> structure of *.arsc that I understood.
>
> Since I could not spend many hours for this, my understanding is not
> perfect and might be slightly wrong.
>

> I patched string resource from *.apk.
> Simply extracted *.apk with 7zip and got the resources.arsc file.
>
> Below are the structure of *.arsc
>
> struct ANDROID_RESOURCE_HEADER
> {
> int signature; // 0x000c0002, I assume this is a signature
> int nImageLength; // total ARSC file size (bytes)
> int nUnknown1[2]; // still unknown (not important for modifying
> strings)
> int nStringBlockLength; // total StringBlock(see below) size
> int nStringCount; // total number of String Resources
> int nUnknown2[4]; // still unknown  (not important for modifying
> strings)
> }
>
> "struct ANDROID_RESOURCE_HEADER" is a header of ARSC file image.
> So simply you can read this header information from file.
>
> After this header, you will meet the StringBlock
>
> StringBlock has 2Sections
> {
> [String Offset]
> [String Data]
> }
>
> String Offset Section has Offset Values of Specific Strings from
> StringBlock Start Address.
>
> String Data Section has 2 Part
>
> String Data
> {
> [Length]
> [String]
> }
>
> Length part is 2byte. but, in AscII Mode, uses only 1byte.
> Before reading String, you must check whether it is "Unicode" or
> "AscII" format.
>
> in Unicode format, Length part will be used with 2bytes.
> normally it is "0x??, 0x00" (only if it is not longer than 256 bytes)
>
> in AscII format, Length part will be used with 1bytes. but, they also
> used second byte for mirroring.
> if string length has a value 7, you will meet "0x07, 0x07"
>
> So, I checked whether both bytes have same value to check string
> format.
>

> Lastly, actual string data will be after this length part with "Zero
> Terminal"
> in Unicode format, surely, Zero Terminal will be 2 byte of zero.
>

> Whenever you change the string of this ARSC file, you should
> recalculate these.
> Length Part of String Data
> String Offset of StringBlock
> nImageLength of Header
> nStringBlockLength of Header
>

> After doing these all.
> Simply, remove all JAR Signature (META-INF folder) from package.
> Re-Archive with Zip and rename with *.apk.
> Resign with your certificate by using "jarsigner" of JDK
>

> Thanks.

---
"Android Developers" group.