On 07/24/2013 02:41 PM, TreKing wrote:

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Tobiah <t...@tobiah.org
<mailto:t...@tobiah.org>> wrote:

    So I was wondering whether there was some other unique identifier
    I could use, or failing that, would like to here suggestions on
    generating an identifier that would (almost?) never be a duplicate.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=android+unique+ID
First Hit: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3115918/android-unique-id, which
also leads to
Third Hit:
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2011/03/identifying-app-installations.html

The first two hits outline the technique that I listed in my original
post.  It fails on some T-mobile devices.  That's why I was
looking for alternatives.  The third really just states why the other
methods are not satisfying.

It looks like I'll have to go with creating my own GUID in the rare
case that the ANDROID_ID fails.  I'll have to keep it on the filesystem
in order to survive app upgrades.

Given the correct permissions, am I guaranteed to be able to write to
the filesystem on any device?

Thanks,

Tobiah

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Android
Developers" group.