My recommendation is Justin Wetherell's augmented reality framework. You
can get the source and demo apps for free from
http://code.google.com/p/android-augment-reality-framework . I tried a
bunch of different AR frameworks and samples with little success before
Justin's. His is straight forward and well documented.

- Dave

On Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:07:18 PM UTC-4, Nathan wrote:

> From your experience, what is the best option for an Augmented reality
> framework?
> If you have developed one or developed with one, please comment.
>
> There isn't a lack of options - just looking for feedback on which ones
> actually work.
> The largest list I could find on this topic is this:
>
> http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/augmented-reality-sdks
>
> I probably need:
>
>    - GPS and sensors use
>    - Placement of markers, icons, and some vectors (lines or shapes) in
>    the 3D world.
>    - Should work without internet or data. Shouldn't be a problem since I
>    am not counting on an online feed.
>    - Non GPL.
>
> I may need ( in the dream future):
>
>    - more complex 3d rendering with meshes and dynamically loaded
>    textures. Nothing too major, just maybe like overlaying a Google Earth
> like
>    image with the camera. ;)
>
> I probably don't need:
>
>    - Data for the Points of Interest, I'll provide my own and they'll be
>    small in number.
>    - Computer Vision based reality. That eliminates quite a few.
>    - Object manipulation - I don't need to design cities or anything like
>    that.
>
> I'm looking for more of the viewfinder sort of thing.
>
> I prefer buy over build, I think because I don't want to start from
> scratch on working around the bugs on every single device. Of course, I
> don't want to buy and still have to fix all the bugs myself.
>
> So here are some I'm considering.
>

>    - ARLab.com. As described on their website at least, it sounds like
>    the ArBrowser
>    - Wikitude. A bit more expensive, but possibly more established and
>    mature. Since their sample app has a million downloads.
>    -
>
> http://www.chupamobile.com/products/details/296/Augmented+Reality+Toolkit/.
>    Probably made by a guy in his basement, but if it does work, it is only
>    $20. Probably worth buying just to prototype something before going full
>    scale.
>
> Can anyone comment?
>
> Nathan

---