Here's the scenario:

The app is on the market for free.  The publisher then decides to make
it a pay app and changes the status.  I'm assuming you can just do
that, but my questions are:

1)  Will the publishing console require us to upload a new version if
it is to be a pay app, or can we just change it on-the-fly?
2)  If we can change it on-the-fly, how will that affect users that
have downloaded the free version?  Do they get the license to the paid
one as well (so they can delete but reinstall the app for free, get
updates, etc?)

I've finished a game but I've been just waiting for the paid apps to
come online before publishing it.  I'm now thinking that I wouldn't
mind a 1 week free period before going paid but something felt like
the users who download it for free would never have to pay even after
I change it to paid and add some sort of desirable update that makes
them want to download the new version (and pay then to get it if they
have to).

Could someone from google please fill us in on this?

Thank you