One of my apps uses a service, and in the first versions I was getting some
complaints about the app not working.  So I added an option to make the
service a foreground service (default, with a text saying that it was
needed for proper operation on some phones but that it might affect battery
life).  This decreased reliablility complaints somewhat, but working back
and forth with a couple of the complainers I found that (I think with lower
grade phones and/or loaded with many other service apps) my service was
sometimes getting killed by the system in order to conserve resources.  A
service, even a foreground service has no guarantee of immortality and IMHO
needs to be backed up by a periodic alarm.  This was my ultimate (so far)
fix and seems to have pretty much made everybody happy!

---
"Android Developers" group.