You don't need to use the telephone class, use a Broadcast reciever
to grab messages as thay come in, as such

public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent)
        {
                // if the abort command is issued this will execute when the
                // The message will not be processed and this instance will be
removed as a receiver.
                                if (intent.getAction().equals
(ACTION_RECIEVED))
                {
                   System.out.println("getting messages.");
                   // retrieve the received sms messages form the intent.
                   Bundle bundle = intent.getExtras();
                   if ( bundle==null)
                   {
                      System.out.println("Message bundle is null!");
                      return;
                   }
                   else
                   {
                        // retrieve all incoming messages that haven't been
processed.
                        // typically will be only one message per receive event.
                      Object[] pdusObj = (Object[]) bundle.get("pdus");
                      if ( pdusObj==null )
                      {
                         System.out.println("Message pdu's are null!");
                         return;
                      }
                      SmsMessage[] messages = new SmsMessage[pdusObj.length];
                      System.out.println("retrieving: "+pdusObj.length+"
messages.");
                          for (int i = 0; i<pdusObj.length; i++)
                          {
                                // create the message from the pdu
                             messages[i] = SmsMessage.createFromPdu ((byte[])
pdusObj
[i]);
                             System.out.println("Message: "+i+" "+messages
[i].getMessageBody());
                             System.out.println("Message from: "+messages
[i].getOriginatingAddress());
                          }
                   }
                }
        }

Register your reciever as such:

IntentFilter filter = new IntentFilter
("android.provider.Telephony.SMS_RECEIVED");
registerReceiver(new Reciever(), filter);