We will prefer wifi networks over 3g networks if the user has enabled wifi
and is within range of a known network.  You can check if we are connected
to wifi via

NetworkInfo activeInfo = ConnectivityManager.getActiveNetworkInfo();
Boolean wifi = (activeInfo != null && activeInfo.getType() ==
ConnectiivtyManager.TYPE_WIFI);

There is no nice way to force a udp transmission onto wifi.

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM, RLScott <fixthatpi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My app uses a UDP network protocol involving very little data.  But the
> round-trip latency is important.  I have heard that 3G latency is more
> variable than wi-fi, especially after a long period of inactivity.  My app
> will use the network data after several hours of inactivity, and I want
> that very first access to have the shortest possible latency.  (It is
> querying a network time server).  I thought about sending out some nonsense
> UDP packets to some other host just to "wake up the channel", since I am
> told that the 3G network switches to faster response only after a few
> hits.  But then I thought it might be simpler just to insist that wi-fi be
> available to provide this particular function.  So is there anything in the
> API that allows me to either query if wi-fi is available, or to force the
> network access to use only wi-fi?
>

>  --
> ---
> "Android Developers" group.