Oops... did a reply to author instead of a reply :)

The gist of what I wrote was:
I'm using a dev1 and managed with no problems to connect. Airtel has
an APN of airtelgprs.com - I'm in India on Airtel. Make sure you have
GPRS/EDGE enabled by your provider as well.
Regards,
Sunil

Other providers would need different settings of course