On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Steve Gabrilowitz <steveg1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just did a play store search for the heck of it and there is an app that
> claims to do just that, and has good reviews so it apparently is possible.
> The app is free but implements in-app purchasing and one of the reviewers
> mentioned something about a $10 option but it might be a better solution
> for you than reinventing the wheel.
>
> If you want to write a simple app as you suggest and you don't mind having
> to turn it on and off then it seems to me that all you would need is 2
> usages of the GPS, record the location when you turn it on and then when
> you turn it off just look up the distance between current point and saved
> start point!

A more accurate approach would be to sample the GPS location on a
continuous basis. A button on the app could be used to start/stop the
sampling to save battery, or, better yet, dynamically change the sample
rate - decrease when the samples don't change and increase to a set maximum
when they do. I can envision driving from point A to point B on several
different routes, all of which are different distances. Just knowing the
end points would not be a very accurate way to measure the miles driven for
stuff like oil changes, tire rotation, tire wear, etc.

Mark