I want to start hosting video clips in my app - my main motivation is to be
able to play short videos less than 4 minutes that are hosted on my
external server.

Can anybody suggest pointers/suggestions for what technologies I should
consider? Video is not the most important component of the app and I'd like
to avoid spending 80% of my time on it, but I need to allow some level of
playback control to the user (and considering on non-android platforms is
also on my radar).

I've considered the youtube API, but want to be able to play videos outside
of youtube.

Thanks,

---
"Android Developers" group.