Thanks a lot! You pointed me in the right direction.

ok so I got this working.

The best way to bypass the sim card and access straight to the
wireless is easy.

When the phone boots and asks you for the sim card, just leave it.

2. Download Dev1 phone usb drivers from
http://code.google.com/android/intro/develop-and-debug.html#developingondevicehardware

3. Attach phone and install drivers in downloaded location

4. Start>Run>cmd

5. the command prompt type cd c:\

6. type adb shell (this will let you access and push a command to the
root system of the phone)

7. A ' # ' appears.. type the fallowing appending: am start -a
android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings
       //if you wanna know what this does.. It starts the android
setting page and forces it to the main display]

          ( source is from forum post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=452316
)

8. when this is done, hit enter and go to your dev1 phone

9. The wireless setting screen should be visible

10. Set up your wireless and you are done.

I hope this post helps others wishing to use their phones without a
data plan!!