On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldevelo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am curious what API or method Android used to kill a specific thread in
>> a process too.....but your link above did not say anything on that?
>> Please enlighten me :-).
>

> I'm not sure what you're asking. The OP didn't ask anything about killing
> a specific thread. He question was about killing a Service without killing
> the entire hosting process.
>
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldevelo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> a service is a thread in a process,
>

> What? No it's not. Where'd you get that?
>

> http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html#WhatIsAService
> Second bullet point: "A Service is *not* a thread"

well...you contradict yourself:   same URL you quote:

"Note that services, like other application objects, run in the main thread
of their hosting process."

So, ok, service is not a thread, but the "main thread" is running the
service.  And therefore, everything is still implemented as threads.

See this:

http://www.androidenea.com/2009/07/system-server-in-android.html

And you can see that system_server process has many threads, each running
different services for Android.   To quote:

"We see that the power manager is started first, followed by the activity
manager and the other services. There are a lot more services started after
these initial and if you are interested take look in the SystemServer.java
file. Each service is running in a separate Dalvik thread in the
SystemServer process."

see detailed picture here:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fcXaF6gx74U/Skt-LUxMZSI/AAAAAAAAAB0/WsPol_qxwL4/s1600/SystemServer_threads.png

--